Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The bunnies are restless: business names and 5Bunny

Image from FreeFoto.com, creative commons. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
Some of you may have noticed rustling in the bushes and strange noises on Twitter. Don't be alarmed. That's just my new business name, getting ready to emerge.

While as a freelancer I'm lucky in having a distinctive and unusual name, being called Sadhbh comes with one big disadvantage. 

No one can say it*. A small sample of the recent guesses made by people trying to work it out include Saba, Sadvie, Sadhabah, and, of course, “Yo, Irish”. Some resorted to changing my surname as firstname and calling me Warren. Others just stand there, twitching and wide-eyed like rabbit in the headlights, until I put them out of their misery and explain how to pronounce it.

It's a very traditional Irish female name and actually pretty easy to say - like the number five, but with an "s" instead of an "f". It might look like the victim of a tragic consonants shortage, but it trips off the tongue quite easily. Sive.

But for those that don't know this, it's intimidating to call or email, and some clients have told me they were initially put off contacting me. So I've been tossing around the idea of a new business name for my writing work, and have settled on 5Bunny Productions.

Five like Sadhbh, and bunny rabbits live in warrens. Put them together and you have the easy way some people use to remember how to say my name. There will be five bunnies, all writing about different things. I hope – much in the manner of bunnies – to get down to populating the website and bringing in lots of new arrivals in the next few months.

Thanks to Linette and Peter for helping me think through the process, and the many others who offering input and advice, even if that was only checking I didn’t plan to dress as a Playboy Bunny while writing. Work is underway on a website, and a logo, and business cards and all the other things that are so much fun about building a brand (no, really, I mean it) but in the meantime you can still catch me here or tweeting over at @5thBunny.

I, for one, would like to welcome our new leporine overlords. Especially if they'll get on with getting their act together and getting some content up.



* Unless they've met me, are Irish, or preferably both.


4 comments:

  1. Checking you didn't plan to dress as a Playboy bunny in a disappointed tone, one assumes. This being the internet, an' all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my RL friends are pretty uninterested in the idea of me as a Playboy bunny, but heartily of approve of an Anya-in-Buffy-style Bunnysuit. On the internet, I have come across a lot of people trying to get me into a Zena outfit, bizarrely. Zena Bunny maybe? http://www.bunspace.com/view_bunny?bunid=13938

      Delete
  2. I don't think you should give into it Sadhbh! People should make more of an effort here to pronounce people's names. I think if you put 'pronounced like five with an s' that should be enough. But anyway looking forward to the website launch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, just not looking forward to actually building the darn thing!

      Delete